Importance of Mental Processes
Mental training is an over looked skill in golf practice and program design. Most coaching sessions and programs fixate on improving shot making technique. It is important to develop mental and emotional processes that will aid in your performance on the golf course. Mental skills can be improved with practice just like any other skill in golf. When a player is mentality performing well they have a better chance of executing the shots they want to, in the moment when it counts.
Mental training is not just for the elite and professional players. Golfers of all abilities can benefit from strong mental processes to apply to their games. Attributes of mentally strong golfers include:
- High self confidence in their skills
- High in self awareness and self regulation
- Trust in themselves, their processes and their skill set
- Good decision making abilities
- Able to stabilise their emotions quickly
- Do not attach themselves to outcomes
- Focus on what is important and what to let go of
- Centered in the moment and focus only on what is in front of them
By beginning a mental program you are giving yourself a greater chance of achieving your goals and enjoying the game.
To read more about different aspects of Mental Training refer to my Blog by clicking here.
For more information on Mental Training and development contact me by clicking here.
For more information on Sport Psychology and Emotional Intelligence refer to the Strategic Partners page by clicking here.